Thursday, September 4, 2014

An important event in my life

  
          Shy and introverted-- these were the adjectives that my best friends used to describe me in the past. Indeed, I was. I preferred being alone to talking to strangers as I was not brave enough to do so. Therefore, I had only a few friends in my class and I spent most of my time with them. When all of my friends are were arranged to different classes when we were 15 years old, I was sad, thinking that I would be alone for the rest of secondary school life.

          Realizing that I was always alone, my class monitor tried to help me to mingle well with my classmates. She introduced me to the class to be the leader for the coming interschool choir competition. I was worried as I did not even dare to speak to others, nonetheless not to mention leading the class to practice for a competition.

         At first, I was unwilling to be a leader and I tried to avoid from this responsibility. However, with the help for of my class monitor, I started to communicate with my classmates and led them for every practices. As days past, we knew each other more and our friendship was built up.

        We eventually won in this competition. The vivid memory of my classmates hugging me with joy and thanked me for leading them well is still in mind. It was a fruitful experience to me as I turned out to be more cheerful and outgoing besides gaining some leadership qualities. Without this important event in my life, I might still be timid and shy.

*edited*

8 comments:

  1. Hi Jia Ning,

    I am glad that you manage to meet a person that encourages you throughout your school life. I understand the feeling of being separated from your friends during school life. I went through the exact same experience too. Fortunately, I still had a friend with me after the class was reorganised.

    However, during that time, I did not have the courage to take initiative to make new friends. Thus, there were only a few people that I could talk to in the newly organised class.

    Therefore, I regretted not being brave enough to take initiative to make new friends during that time. Therefore, I am really glad that you found someone that could encourage you during your school life and find new friendships with her aid.

    -- Xuan --

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. -Edited last part of my comment- XD

      Therefore, I regretted not being brave enough to take initiative to make new friends during that time. Hence, I am really glad that you found someone that could encourage you during your school life and find new friendships with her aid.

      Delete
    2. Hey Xuan!
      Thanks for leaving such a long comment here! I feel so touched!
      Yeah I am glad and appreciate those who came into my life and helped me to transform into a better one! I hope there is someone who is that kind to help you out in your life too!=)
      Maybe we should learn to adapt the new situation easily and be brave to talk to others so that we won't miss out the chances to build up new friendship!

      Cheers,
      Jianing

      Delete
  2. This is a very revealing anecdote, Ning. It's hard for me now to imagine you so shy!
    I'm glad that you have been able to develop more confidence.

    Here are a couple language items to note:

    1) When all of my friends are arranged to different classes when we were 15 years old... (tense)

    2) I was worried as I did not even dare to speak to others, nonetheless leading the class to practice for a competition. (wording/sentence structure_ hint: nonetheless?)

    3) with the help for my class monitor > help for?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Dear Brad!
      Thanks for your comment! I corrected the errors I made except for 2). I don't know what's wrong with the nonetheless. Do you mean I should separate this sentence? Please advise! Thank you!=D

      Delete
    2. Yes, separate the two clauses. 'Nonetheless' should start a new sentence. :)

      Delete
    3. This comment has been removed by the author.

      Delete
    4. Thanks Brad!
      Have a nice weekend!

      Delete