Wednesday, August 20, 2014

My English Language Learning Journey

             As a born and bred Malaysian, I have been learning Chinese, Malay and English throughout the 19 years in my life. My parents have always encouraged me to improve my skills in languages, especially English as they are aware of how important language is to prepare myself well to communicate with others. However, as a Chinese school student, Chinese is always my first choice when I come to interact with others and therefore I do not get much opportunity to improve my English. This has resulted in my lack of confidence to use English in my life.

             In my high school life, the results of my English papers were averagely  good, but I never think that my English is decent. In fact, I believe that everyone can score well if they practice more by doing grammar exercises and memorise the formats of the essays befor the tests. Also, speaking English was the most difficult task for me that I avoided from speaking English to others all the time until I attended the English tuition when I was 17 years old.

             Unlike other tuitions, these tuitions were conducted in a very relaxing and happy style. The passionate teacher, extroverted and friendly peers and the interesting study materials made me look forward to every Monday tuition. Attending these tuitions not only honed my English skills, but also changed me from an introverted girl to an outgoing one. I remembered how afraid I was when I had to speak English in front of my peers in the first tuition. I nearly cried. It was the encouragementand helpful advices from everyone made me step out of my comfort zone to speak more in English.

            And now, I am in NUS, the university which gathers students from the world. I believe that I can improve my English in all aspects within 4 years studying here. I will never let the timidity and shyness in me to confine me from improving anymore.

*edited*

10 comments:

  1. Hi Jia Ning,

    I really understand how you feel about the lack of confidence in using English in your everyday life. I have always use Mandarin to communicate with my friends and family. Therefore, frequently, I have difficulties turning on my 'English mode'.

    I find that it is good that you relate how your experiences impacted your English Language Learning Journey in your reflection. It allows users to understand more about what happened during certain milestones of your journey.

    I really enjoyed reading your reflection! Let's try our best to improve our English!

    Cheers~
    Xuan

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Xuan!
      Thanks for your long reply!=)
      I am really happy to find someone who are facing the same problem as me! Let put more effort together so that we can turn on our "English mode" in an easier way in the future!=D

      Delete
  2. Thank you, Jia Ning, for an honest, detailed reflection. You seem to paint a fairly full self portrait here. It's interesting to learn about your experiences with English. I'm sure that four years in Singapore will be further enhancement of your skills.

    As for language use, here are a few areas that you might review:

    1) My parents always encourage me to improve my skills in languages, especially English as they aware that how important language is to prepare myself well to communicate with others. (aware > word form/ aware that or how?)

    2) in the lack of confidence in me >>> ?

    3) averagely good >>> ?

    4) paragraph 4 verb tense?

    5) Also, speaking English was the most difficult task for me that I avoided from speaking English to others all the time until I attended the English tuition when I was 17 years old. (sentence structure?)

    6) these tuitions was conducted (agreement)

    7) I remembered how afraid I was when I had to speak English in front of my peers in the first tuition that I nearly cried. (tense)

    I look forward to working with you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Brad ! Can I just edit this post to correct the mistakes I made?

      Delete
  3. Hey Jia Ning!
    I understand how you feel when you are unable to communicate in English well because that's exactly how I feel every time!
    Love the way how you are able to write in a way such that I really feel the awkwardness during your first English tuition class. And I feel happy for you that people around you are encouraging you!

    Love,
    Joan

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey Joan,
      Sorry for the late reply!
      I am still learning how to communicate with others using fluent English and I hope that I am able to talk to others in English in a more confident way in the future!
      Let's be better ones together!

      Love,
      Jianing=)

      Delete
  4. Hi Jia Ning,

    By reading your reflection, I really admire your determination and bravery to step out of your comfort zone to communicate English more often. English was also a challenge for me but I believe that we can learn a lot from this module. Let's help each other out.

    Thank you for sharing your personal experiences. They were relevant and detailed. I felt that the your reflection was well-sequenced too. I enjoyed reading your reflection!

    Regards,
    Adila

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey Adila!
      Sorry for the late reply!
      I believe everyone has a comfort zone in a particular field that he/she has to step out to try out new things. I hope we can improve together to do well in this module!
      Thanks for your comment!

      Love,
      Jianing=)

      Delete
  5. Thanks for the fine editing effort, Ning!

    ReplyDelete